Right now my dad is in a hospital bed, fighting for his life. How can I express the feelings of love and gratitude I have for him. He is the hardest worker I know. He did what needed to be done, no matter how hard, to take care of his family and serve the Lord.
An example of this is his love for the missionaries. When he served in the MTC, he would go up every day, even when he wasn't scheduled to help the missionaries learn the language, the gospel principles or anything else they needed. And when they left, he still wrote and hear from them. After they were released, they were asked to return to help out, well he didn't just help out, he put his whole heart back into those missionaries.
He did the same for his wife and children. My dad was not a man of "words" when it came to expressing love, but he showed it everyday in his actions. He is kind of a grumpy man. I use to tease him, and call him "sourpuss" because he was so grumpy, and he would call me his clown, because I was always trying to lighten his mood!
Another example of this was with my mother. When they got the diagnosis of cancer, my mom was notable emotional (as anyone would be) when she called me. There my dad was in the background say, "Oh Jeannie, what's the big deal, we are sealed for eternity". My dad didn't necessarily agree with my mother's spending habits (in fact I would have to say they were quite opposite of his) but he always let her do/buy what she felt she needed, especially when in came to health-minded things. And then he would give her grief. Then turn around and shower her with more gifts. When I went down the first time after diagnosis, when I was getting ready to leave, the last thing he said to me was, take care of your mother, but not so well that she lives a long time, because I want her with me. It was a tender moment.
I think I have always had a good relationship with my dad even as a rebellious teen, I think my dad understood me. I was not the nicest daughter during those years, but he was fairly patient.
Dad, thank you for everything. Each night I pray to my Heavenly Father for you. He knows the plan, He knows your suffering and what you need. You are a fighter.
I love you!

3 comments:
I don't even know your dad...but that made me cry! Our thoughts and prayers are with you, especially during the holiday season! We wish you the best!
Thanks Sharon for all you do and continue to do. Thanks for putting a smile on Dad's face and a twinkle in his eye. You bless all of our lives, just as our Dad has always done.
Sharon,
I do not know how I missed this post...but it had me in tears.
It sounds like he understands our Father in heaven's plan, but that does not make this time of watching him be uncomfortable or the thought of "when" sny easier.
You are in my prayers.
Post a Comment